Windows 10 Missing Start Menu Programs After Windows Updates

A Little Background


At some point in time due to a Windows Update I couldn't find some of the Start menu's entries for my programs, but in C:\Program Files*\ the programs were all still there.

In a few different forums the frequent solution was to reinstall whichever programs were missing from the Start menu. How will a person know what is missing if it's not there to say "Hello, I am missing?" Why is the solution to every Windows problem to reinstall the engine? Why doesn't Windows put the good spark plugs back into the engine with the next update? Well I suppose that's why Apple and Linux came into the picture.

I very much dislike it when the solution to a problem is endorsed with a book before the solution, so I'll get into the fix that worked for me.


Start Folder Shortcut Permissions Was My Issue

 

I went into C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and in there were program folders that were missing from the Start Menu. One of them was 7-zip, which when double clicking on the folder asked me for permissions. I canceled and tried one of the folders that was still in the Start Menu and no permission dialog appeared. I thought "Aha!", it's a permission issue which caused the Start Menu from showing the shortcuts.

I then backed up a directory to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu and right clicked on Programs, then clicked the "Security" tab. Then at the bottom area clicked "Advanced" button. Then make sure to click "Enable Inheritance" button is clicked so that it says "Disable inheritance" to show that it's enabled. Then check the box "Replace all child..." Hit "Apply", and "OK", and "OK" on the program properties dialog window.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pros and Cons of PLDT Home Prepaid WiFi

How to search contents of files on Windows 10 and Android

Plandemic Documentary: The Hidden Agenda Behind Covid-19